Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous brand-new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser center. Select the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Select a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your medical professional will not inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however don't anonymous expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people worldwide.